GenWeb de la Basse Côte-Nord

Quebec Lower North Shore GenWeb

 

Le GenWeb de la Basse Côte-Nord est une composante du GenWeb Québec et du GenWeb Canada.

Lower North Shore GenWeb is part of the Québec GenWeb and the Canada GenWeb Projects.



Chevery

Chevery is about 117 nautical miles by sea northeast of Natashquan, the terminus of the highway to the outside world. It is built along a sandy beach at the mouth of the Nétagamiou River. The Village was settled in it’s present day form in the 1960s primarily by livyers who fished from outside islands in the summer and moved to many tiny mainland settlements in the winter. Resettlement was promoted by a United Church Minister from Newfoundland, which was also experiencing similar resettlement. Many of the families came to Chevery from the Harrington Islands and originally from the South West Coast of Newfoundland

The Village was named Chevery in 1971, after Captian Jean-Baptiste Chevery who lost his ship the Joseph-Marie, which was laden with salt for Labrador, at the mouth of the River on June 6, 1747.

In the early 1800s, an Acadian family, Bilodeau, lived at the mouth of the Nétagamiou River, on the bank opposite the Village, known today as Bilodeau’s Point.
In the 1920s, the family of William Charles Anderson settled at Cross River, at the extreme western end of present day Chevery. William (or ‘Dosh’ as he was locally referred to) built an experimental farm at the site of the present day airport. Although the farm was considered successful, the family did not see it as an adequate living and it ceased to exist in the 1940s.

Chevery is the administrative center of the Municipality and the School Commission of the Lower North Shore of the Gulf of St. Lawrence. It is connected to the outside world by daily airline service and in the summer by coastal boat via Harrington Harbour.

Present-day surnames in the Village are: Anderson, Bobbitt, Chislett, Cox, Jones, Osborne, Ransom, Rowsell, Shattler, Strickland, Waye. The main religions are Anglican and United, with one shared church building. There is one cemetery for the village.

********************

Chevery est environ 117 milles nautiques par voie maritime, à l'est de Natasquan, le terminal de la voie routière au reste du monde. Le village est bâtit le long d’une plage sablonneuse à l’embouchure de la rivière Nétagamiou. Le village prit sa forme d’aujourd’hui dans les années 1960 principalement par des occupants qui pêchaient l'été à l'extérieur des îles et déménageaient vers plusieurs petites colonies du continent l’hiver. Un ministre de l’église Unie de Terre-Neuve a contribué à promouvoir la re-localisation, car ceux-ci avaient déjà éprouvés une re-localisation similaire. Plusieurs familles sont arrivées à Chevery de l’île d’Harrington et originairement de la côte sud ouest de Terre Neuve.

Le village fut nommé Chevery en 1971 à partir du Capitaine Jean-Baptiste Chevery qui a perdu son navire, le Joseph-Marie, celui-ci était chargé de sel pour le Labrador, à l’embouchure de la rivière le 6 juin 1747.

Au début des années 1800, une famille canadienne française, Bilodeau, demeurait à l’embouchure de la rivière Nétagamiou, sur la banquise opposée du village, connue aujourd’hui sous le nom de Pointe Bilodeau.Dans les années 1920 la famille de William Charles Anderson s’établit à Cross River à la partie extrème ouest du Chevery que nous connaissons d'aujourd'hui. William, (ou surnommé Dosh dans la région), bâtit une ferme expérimentale sur le site actuel de l’aéroport. Même si la ferme opérait avec succès, la famille ne pouvait prévoir une vie adéquate et cessa d’exister dans les années 1940.

Chevery est le centre administratif de la municipalité et la commission scolaire de la Basse Côte Nord de golfe St-Laurent. Il est connecté au reste du monde par un service aérien journalier et l’été par navigation côtière via Harrington.

Les noms que l'on retrouvent ajourd’hui dans le village; Anderson, Bobbitt, Chislett, Cox, Jones, Osborne, Ransom, Rowsell, Shattler, Strickland, Waye. Les religions principales sont Anglicanes et Unies, avec une église partagée. Il y a un cimetière pour le village.

 

  Back to the Homepage / Retour à la page d'accueil
 

Acadia | AB | BC | MB | ON | QC | NB | NL | NS | PEI | SK | YK | NWT & Nunavut | Canada GenWeb for Kids


Thank you to the previous coordinators, Sharon Ransom and Marc-André Gosselin, for their excellent work !
We are looking forward to reading your suggestions and comments. / Il nous fera plaisir de lire vos suggestions et commentaires.

Dernière mise à jour: 25/06/2016

© Quebec GenWeb 1997-2016

 

Suzette Leclair, Provincial Coordinator, Quebec GenWeb Project