GenWeb de la Basse Côte-Nord

Quebec Lower North Shore GenWeb

 

Le GenWeb de la Basse Côte-Nord est une composante du GenWeb Québec et du GenWeb Canada.

Lower North Shore GenWeb is part of the Québec GenWeb and the Canada GenWeb Projects.



Kegaska

Kegaska is about 34 nautical miles by sea east of Natashquan, the terminus of the highway to the outside world. The name is registered as Quegasca on a 1685 map by cartographer Jean-Baptiste-Louis Franquelin. It is used again by Louis Jolliet in 1694 to identify the harbour where he stopped on August 10. It has been used in it’s current official form since 1702, as noted in a Fishing and Hunting Act of Territorial Concessions to Courtemanche. In 1831, the Hudson Bay Company maintained a trading post here; it is shown on a map of Canada by Joseph Bouchette of New Brunswick. Admiral Bayfield documented it on a map in 1837. The name is found in various forms: Kégasca, Kegaskat, Kigaska, Kaska, Kégachka, Tchekaska and especially Kégashka.

The true beginning of the village goes back to 1852, when several Acadian families came from Isle-de-la-Madeleine and settled here. For no obvious reason they left in 1871-1873 to settle at Betchewun, a short distance west along the coast. Following this there came new settlers of Irish origin but they too did not stay and the place was deserted by 1890.

In 1898, a few families arrived from Perth (Ontario). Their ancestors migrated from Newfoundland to Fox Bay, Anticosti. In 1895, Menier purchased Anticosti Island and had a dispute with the Newfoundland settlers. The Canadian government resettled the livyers to Perth and Renfew, Ontario and as far west as Winnipeg. Some of these livyers later returned and settled at Kegaska, thus the family names of Court, King, Kippen and Osborne here today.

Kegaska is a picturesque village, beginning with an island where most of the original families built when they first settled. The island is connected by a small wooden bridge to the rest of the village which forms a half-moon shape along a sandy beach. It is connected to the outside world by a daily airline service and in summer by coastal boat.

Other present-day surnames include: Butt, Chislett, Evans, Foreman, Gallichan, Jones, Mansbridge, Morency, Shattler, Strickland and Stubbert. The main religion is Anglican, which has its own church. There is one cemetery in the village and one at Foreman’s River, west of the village.

********************

Kegaska est environ 34 miles nautiques par voie maritime à l'est de Natasquan, le terminal de la voie routière au reste du monde. Les registres indiquent le nom de Quegasca sur une carte routière qui date de 1685 préparée par le cartographe Jean-Baptiste-Louis Franquelin. Il est utilisé par la suite par Louis Jolliet en 1694 pour identifié le port où il s'arrêta le 10 août. Il est utilisé couramment sous sa forme officielle depuis 1702, tel qu'indiqué dans un Acte de Pêche et de Chasse des Concessions Territoriales de Courtemanche. En 1831, la Compagnie Hudson Bay maintien un poste d'échange ici; il apparaît sur une carte du Canada de Joseph Bouchette du Nouveau-Brunswick. L'Admiral Bayfield le documenta sur une carte routière daté de 1837. Ce nom est retrouvé sous différentes formes: Kégasca, Kegaskat, Kigaska, Kaska, Kégachka, Tchekaska et surtout Kégashka.

Le vrai début du village recule à 1852, lorsque plusieurs familles acadiennes venues de l'Île-de-la-Madeleine se sont établies ici. Sans raisons apparentes elles quittèrent en 1871/1873 pour s'établir à Betchewun, une courte distance à l'ouest le long de la côte. Par la suite, de nouveaux pionniers d'origine irlandaise arrivent mais ne restent pas et la région est déserte en 1890.

En 1898, quelques familles arrivent de Perth, Ontario. Leurs ancêtres ont immigrés de Terre-Neuve à Fox Bay, Antiscosti. En 1895, Meunier achete l'île d'Antiscosti et a une dispute avec les pionniers Terre-Neuviens. Le gouvernement Canadien a ré-localisé les occupants à Perth et Renfrew, Ontario et même jusqu'à Winnipeg. Quelques uns de ces occupants sont retournés plus tard pour s'établir à Kegaska, d'où viennent les noms de familles ici aujourd'hui de Court, King, Kippen et Osborne.

Kegaska est un village pittoresque qui débute avec une île où la plupart des familles originaires ont bâties lorsqu'elles se sont établies. L'île est connectée au reste du village par un petit pont en bois et a la forme d'une demie-lune le long de la plage sablonneuse. Elle est connectée au reste du monde par un service aérien journalier et durant l'été par navigation côtière.

D'autres noms aujourd'hui inclus: Butt, Chislett, Evans, Foreman, Gallichan, Jones, Mansbridge, Morency, Shattler, Strickland and Stubbert. La religion principale est Anglicane et a sa propre église. Il y un cimetière dans le village et un à la Rivière Foreman, à l'ouest du village.

 Back to the Homepage / Retour à la page d'accueil
 

Acadia | AB | BC | MB | ON | QC | NB | NL | NS | PEI | SK | YK | NWT & Nunavut | Canada GenWeb for Kids
 


Thank you to the previous coordinators, Sharon Ransom and Marc-André Gosselin, for their excellent work !
We are looking forward to reading your suggestions and comments. / Il nous fera plaisir de lire vos suggestions et commentaires.

Dernière mise à jour: 26/06/2016

© Quebec GenWeb 1997-2016

 

Suzette Leclair, Provincial Coordinator, Quebec GenWeb Project