GenWeb de la Basse Côte-Nord

Quebec Lower North Shore GenWeb

 

Le GenWeb de la Basse Côte-Nord est une composante du GenWeb Québec et du GenWeb Canada.

Lower North Shore GenWeb is part of the Québec GenWeb and the Canada GenWeb Projects.



Brador / Bradore

Brador is about 265 nautical miles by sea northeast of Natashquan, the terminus of the highway to the outside world. Being not far from the narrowest point of the Strait of Belle Isle, it is probably one of the most historic points in Labrador. The bay of Brador (Arm of Gold) was settled by the French and frequented by the Basque whalers long before the Pilgrim Fathers landed at Plymouth Rock. Opening out of the Bay is a small inlet ending in a land locked harbour called Belles Amour. What lost romance gave it this name? There is a strange quiet charm about these wind swept shores.

Many livyers previously resided at the head of Brador Bay where they were sheltered by the hills; in summer they moved to Basin Island. Since 1968, the entire population lives on what is known as Brador Plain, next to the road between Lourdes-de-Blanc-Sablon and Middle Bay.

Brador Bay has had many different names over the years. Very early it was known as Anse aux Espagnols or Baie des Espagnols (Spaniards Bay). This name harkens back to the Basque era when they hunted whales and seals and fished for cod along these shores. Jacque Cartier called it "Lieu des Islettes", because of the flat rocky islands. It was he who termed the phrase "The Land God Gave to Cain" in reference to this whole coast.

Augustus Le Gardeur de Courtemanche built Fort Pontchartrain on this shore of Brador Bay in the early 1700s. He referred to the bay as Phelypeau. This former French army officer moved to Brador Bay after an Inuit attack destroyed his fort further west near the present day village of Old Fort. The appellation Brador replaced Phelypeau by the end of the 1700s.

With the end of the French regime in the 1760s, Brador was monopolized by the Labrador Company until it’s bankruptcy in about 1820. By then a Liverpool, Nova Scotian native, Capt. Randell Jones purchased the fishing post. He came from an old Welsh / English family via Rhode Island and Nova Scotia to Brador. Huard in the 1800s said Capt. Jones had a large firm employing a large number of men for cod, herring, mackerel and seals. He also had horses and a huge, beautifully ornate home. Brador continued to be a fishing fleet rendezvous point. Even the United States left its legacy in the name, Yankee Harbour, at Basin Island. Between 1860 and 1900 Newfoundlanders with the names: Etheridge, Hart and Hobbs settled here.

Other present-day surnames of the village include: Jones and Letto. The predominate religion is Protestant. There are 3 cemeteries in the area - one by the shore, a newer one inland on the plain and a burial site at Belles Amour.

********************
Bradore est environ 265 miles nautique par voie maritime, nord-est de Natasquan, le terminal de la voie  routière au reste du monde. N’étant trop loin de la partie la plus étroite du détroit de Belle Isle, il est probablement un site le plus historique du Labrador. La baie de Bradore (Bras d’Or) fut colonisée par les français et fréquentée par les baleiniers Basque bien avant que les Pélerins débarquèrent à Plymouth Rock. À la sortie de la baie il y a une anse conduisant à un port entouré de terre appellée Belles Amour. Quelle romance perdue lui donna ce nom? Il y a un étrange charme paisible à propos des vents qui balaient les rivages.

Plusieurs occupants ont résidés à la tête de la Baie de Bradore où ils étaient protégés par les collines; l’été ils se retiraient à l’Île Basin. Depuis 1968, la population entière vit sur ce qui  est connu comme étant Brador Plain, près de la route entre Lourdes-de-Blanc-Sablon et Baie du Milieu.

Baie de Bradore a porté plusieurs noms à travers les années. Au très début il était connu sous le nom d’Anse aux Espagnols ou Baie des Espagnols (Spaniards Bay). Ce nom ressasse l’aire des Basques quand ils chassaient les baleines et loup-marins et pêchaient la morue le long des rivages.

Augustin Le Gardeur de Courtemanche bâtit le fort Pontchartrain sur le rivage de Baie de Bradore au début des années 1700. Il référait la baie à Phélypeau. L’ancient officier de l’armée française déménagea à Baie de Bradore après qu’une attaque des Inuits détruisit son fort plus à l’ouest près du village Vieux Fort d’aujourd’hui. L’épellation Bradore remplaça le nom Phélypeau vers la fin des années 1700.

Avec la fin du régime français dans les années 1760, Bradore fut monopolisé par Labrador Company jusqu’à sa faillite vers 1820. À partir de ce moment-là  un natif de Liverpool, Nouvelle Écosse, Randal Jones acheta le poste de pêche. Il venait d’une vieille famille Galloise/Anglaise à partir de Rhode Island à Nouvelle Écosse et par la suite Bradore. Huard dans les années 1800 disait que le Capitaine Jones avait une grande firme employant un grand nombre de pêcheurs de morue, hareng, maquereau et loup-marins. Il avait aussi des chevaux et une immense maison merveilleusement ornementée. Bradore continua à être un centre de rendez-vous pour la pêche. Même les américains laissèrent un héritage dans le nom, Yankee Harbour, à l’Île Basin. Entre 1860 et 1900 des Terre-Neuviens sous les noms d’Etheridge, Hart et Hobbs s’établirent ici.

D’autres  noms d’aujourd’hui dans le village incluent : Jones et Letto. La religion prédominante est Protestante. Il y a trois cimetières dans la région – un sur la côte, un nouveau à l’intérieur des terres et un à Belles Amour.

  Back to the Homepage / Retour à la page d'accueil
 

 


Acadia | AB | BC | MB | ON | QC | NB | NL | NS | PEI | SK | YK | NWT & Nunavut | Canada GenWeb for Kids


Thank you to the previous coordinators, Sharon Ransom and Marc-André Gosselin, for their excellent work !
We are looking forward to reading your suggestions and comments. / Il nous fera plaisir de lire vos suggestions et commentaires.

Dernière mise à jour: 25/06/2016

© Quebec GenWeb 1997-2016

 

Suzette Leclair, Provincial Coordinator, Quebec GenWeb Project