GenWeb de la Basse Côte-Nord

Quebec Lower North Shore GenWeb

 

Le GenWeb de la Basse Côte-Nord est une composante du GenWeb Québec et du GenWeb Canada.

Lower North Shore GenWeb is part of the Québec GenWeb and the Canada GenWeb Projects.


Harrington Harbour


Harringtom Harbour is about 127 nautical miles by sea northeast of Natashquan, the terminus of the highway to the outside world. The Harbour is formed by seven islands and rocks; the Village is located on the southern side of the principal island, often referred to as Hospital Island. The post office opened in 1890 officiating the name of Harrington Harbour in 1897.

In 1535 Jacque Cartier explored the area and named the Island Isle Sainte Marthe because he explored it on the feast of St. Martha. Jean Alphonse, navigator with Cartier and Roberval, referred to it as Isle Damoselle, probably to commemorate the spot where Roberval marooned his niece. People in Harrington Harbour and many historians believe that a French gentlewoman, Marguerite de la Roque, was marooned on Harrington Island, with her lover and her nurse, by Roberval in the 1540s. She bore a child which is likely the first documented descendant of the present European colonist born in the New World. Unfortunately the baby died along with Marguerite’s lover and the "old Saxon nurse". History documents her plight and her eventual rescue and return to France by French fishermen. There is oral history and books and plays written about this historical event.

Harrington probably owes it’s present name to Govenor Alymer who visited the area in 1831 and called the Village Harrington after Charles Stanhope, 3rd count of Harrington. The Montagnais name for Harrington is Akumunan or Akunan, which means good harbour or safe port. The 1861 census records a French Acadian family named Collard lived on the Island, however shortly after the arrival, between 1871- 1895, of the present-day inhabitants from the Southwest Coast of Newfoundland, the French family appears to have moved on. The settlers from Newfoundland were: Anderson, Bobbitt, Chislett, Cox, Harding, Mitchell, Ransom,  Remo, Rowsell, Simms, Strickland and Waye.

In 1892 an English doctor, Wilfred Thomason Grenfell, subsidized by a London charitable organization "The Deep Sea Fishers" arrived in a hospital ship to begin the Grenfell Mission organization that would bring medical care to the fishermen and settlers in this and the remote areas of Newfoundland and Labrador. He made regular trips along the Coast with his hospital ship, the Strathcona, and built the first hospital here in 1907, thus the name Hospital Island. This was the only hospital in the area. Harrington’s first resident doctor for seven years was Doctor Mather Hare from Nova Scotia. Later, for more then forty years Doctor Donald Gordon Hodd was the resident doctor. He traveled the Coast by boat and dog team giving medical care to the people from Natashquan on the western end to Battle Harbour, in Labrador, on the eastern end.

The village of Harrington Harbour is very picturesque. The houses are painted and maintained in a multitude of bright colors. They perch precariously on the south slope of the island right down to the waters edge. There are no cars or roads. The houses and businesses are connected by wooden board walks. It is a peaceful industrious community and considered by many the jewel of the Lower North Shore. It is connected to the outside world by a daily airline service out of Chevery and in summer by coastal boat.

Other present-day surnames include: Evans, Jones, Foreman, Osborne and Roberts. The surnames Simms and Remo have ceased to exist in the Community. The main religions are Anglican and United, previously Presbytrian, with one shared church. There is one cemetery for the village.

 ********************

Harrington Harbour est environ 127 milles nautiques par voie maritime, nord-est de Natasquan, le terminal de la voie routière au reste du monde. Le port est formé par sept îles et des rochers; le village est localisé du côté sud de l’île principal, souvent référé à l’île de l’Hôpital. L’ouverture du bureau de poste était en 1890 et fut nommé Harrington Harbour en 1897.

En 1534 Jacques Cartier explora cet endroit et nomma l’île Sainte Marthe parce qu’il l’avait exploré lors de la célébration de la fête de Sainte-Marthe. Jean Alphonse, navigateur avec Cartier et Roberval, se réfère comme l’île Damoiselle, probablement pour commémorer l’endroit où Roberval abandonna sa nièce. Les gens d’Harrington Harbour et plusieurs historiens croient qu’une dame, Marguerite de la Roque, aurait été abandonnée sur l’île Harrington, avec son amant et son infirmière, par Roberval dans les années 1540. Elle a donné naissance à un enfant qui est probablement le premier descendant des colons européens nés dans le Nouveau Monde. Malheureusement l’enfant est mort de même que l’amant de Marguerite et la "vieille infirmière Saxonne".L’histoire d’écrit son état critique et son sauvetage éventuel par des pêcheurs français ainsi que son retour en France. Ils y a des histoires de vives voies, des livres et des pièces de théâtre qui ont été écrits sur cet évènement historique.

Harrington doit probablement son nom au Gouverneur Aylmer qui a visité cet endroit en 1831 et l’a nommé le village Harrington à partir de Charles Stanhope, 3ième comte d’Harrington. Le nom Montagnais pour Harrington est Akumunan ou Akunan, qui signifie bon port ou port sécuritaire. Les régistres de rescensement de 1861 relatent d’une famille française de l’Acadie sur l’île, cependant peu après le débarquement des habitants de l’époque venant du sud-ouest de la côte de Terre-Neuve, entre 1871-1895, la famille française semble avoir continuer son chemin. Les colons de Terre-Neuve étaient: Anderson, Bobbitt, Chislett, Cox, Harding, Mitchell, Ransom,  Remo, Rowsell, Strickland, et Waye.

En 1892, un médecin anglais, Wilfred Thomason Grenfell, subventionné par un organisme de charité de Londres, appellée "The Deep Sea Fishers", arriva par navire-hôpital pour commencer l’organisation de la Mission Grenfell qui apportera les soins médicaux aux pêcheurs et pionniers de cette région et régions éloignées de Terre-Neuve et du Labrador. Il voyagea régulièrement le long de la côte avec son navire-hôpital, le Strathcona, et bâti le premier hôpital ici en 1907, d’où vient le nom l’île de l’Hôpital. C’était le seul hôpital de la région. Le premier médecin permanent d’Harrington pour une période de sept ans était le docteur Mather Hare de Nouvelle-Écosse. Plus tard, le Docteur Donald Gordon Hodd était le médecin permanent pour plus de quarante ans. Il voyagea la côte par bateau et par chien d’attelages donnant des soins médicaux à la communauté de Natasquan sur la partie ouest de Battle Harbour, dans le Labrador, sur la partie ouest.

Le village d’Harrington Harbour est très pittoresque. Les maisons sont peintes et sont de multiples couleurs vives. Elles sont perchées précairement sur la pente sud de l’île jusqu’au bord de l’eau. Il n’y a aucunes automobiles ou chemins. Les résidences et commerces sont reliés par des trottoirs de bois. C’est une communauté industrielle paisible et considérée par plusieurs comme le joyau de la Basse Côte Nord. Il est joint par le monde extérieur par un service aérien journalier à partir de Chevery et durant l’été par navigation côtière.

D’autres noms de famille inclus: Evans, Jones, Foreman et Osborne et Roberts. Les surnoms Simms et Remo ont cessés d’exister dans la communauté. Les religions principaux sont Anglicane et Unies, auparavant Presbytérienne, avec une église partagée. Il y a un cimetière dans le village.

PHOTOS OF HARRINGTON HARBOUR / PHOTOS DE HARRINGTON HARBOUR – click here / cliquez ici

 

 

Acadia | AB | BC | MB | ON | QC | NB | NL | NS | PEI | SK | YK | NWT & Nunavut | Canada GenWeb for Kids
 


Thank you to the previous coordinators, Sharon Ransom and Marc-André Gosselin, for their excellent work !
We are looking forward to reading your suggestions and comments. / Il nous fera plaisir de lire vos suggestions et commentaires.

Dernière mise à jour: 26/06/2016

© Quebec GenWeb 1997-2016

 

Suzette Leclair, Provincial Coordinator, Quebec GenWeb Project