GenWeb de la Basse Côte-Nord

Quebec Lower North Shore GenWeb

 

Le GenWeb de la Basse Côte-Nord est une composante du GenWeb Québec et du GenWeb Canada.

Lower North Shore GenWeb is part of the Québec GenWeb and the Canada GenWeb Projects.



Tabatiere / La Tabatière

Tabatiere is about 170 nautical miles by sea northeast of Natashquan, the terminus of the highway to the outside world. This present day village was originally made up of several hamlets. The hamlets of Old Post; Red Bay and Tabatiere were separate for generations. In 1960, they amalgamated taking the name Tabatiere. These hamlets were traditionally the best seal fishing post on the Lower North Shore. During the French regime, individuals who were granted concessions – land grants and trading rights by the king of France - ran a seal fishery here. Eider down from nests was also collected and sold or traded. The name Tabatiere is a French corruption of an Amerindian word, Tabaquen, which became Tapatienne, and then Tabatiere. Tabaquen means sorcerer.

Following the British conquest in the mid 1700s, a Quebec based company, the Labrador Company, took over the post. With the bankruptcy of the Labrador Company in 1820, Samuel Robertson a Scottish born native purchased the post. He settled at what was then known as Spar Point in the hamlet of Tabatiere. In the same timeframe, Joseph Gallichan a Jerseyman settled at nearby Old Post; he also owned the post of Lac Salle, several miles to the east.

French-Canadian families of Blais and Gallibois later moved into Red Bay and then families of Collier, Organ, Willcott, Brown, Reid and Hackey arrived from Newfoundland. The latter three family names are seen on the early census of the area but have since disappeared. Most people in the community now speak English however, the French language is still quite evident.

The village is known for it’s fish plant. In the 1930s, Louis T. Blais of Quebec City, son of Joseph T. Blais, a renowned trader and schooner captain, established the Company, St. Lawrence Sea Products. He opened a facility to render seal oil and make meal. In 1952, the facility was transformed into a fish processing plant.

Other present-day surnames include: Anderson, Bateman, Bobbitt, Boland, Bourgeois, Chubbs, Cormier, Fequet, Green, Jones, Kennedy, Maurice, McKinnon, Monger, Morency, Nadeau, Shattler, Smith, Surrett, Vatcher, Wellman and Yarn. The main religions are Anglican and Roman Catholic, each supported by its own church. The Roman Catholic Church is one of the earliest established on the Coast and over the years has had significant prominence in both the village and on the Coast. There are 5 cemeteries: Red Bay, Robertson’s Cove, Sands (Roman Catholic and Protestant) and Lac Salle.

********************
La Tabatière est environ 170 milles nautiques nord est de Natashquan, le terminus de la voie routière au reste du monde. Le village que nous retrouvons aujourd'hui était originairement constitué de hameaux. Les hameaux de Vieux Port; Baie Rouge et La Tabatière étaient séparés pendant des générations. En 1960, il se sont amalgamés et ont pris le nom de La Tabatière. Ces hameaux étaient traditionnellement les meilleurs postes de pêche au phoque de la Basse Côte Nord. Durant le régime français, les individus qui avaient reçus des concessions – des subventions pour des terrains et des droits d'établissement commercial par le roi de France - opéraient un commerce de pêche à cet endroit. Le duvet du eider en bas des nids était aussi collectionné et vendu ou échangé. Le nom La Tabatière est un décomposé d'un mot Amérindien, Tabaquen, qui est devenu Tapatienne, et ensuite La Tabatière. Tabaquen signifie sorcier.

Suite à la conquête Britannique au milieu des années 1700, une compagnie dont le siège social était à Québec, la Compagnie Labrador, a pris la direction du poste. Avec la faillite de la Compagnie Labrador en 1820, Samuel Robertson un natif Écossais acheta le poste. Il s'est établit à l'endroit qui était connu à l'époque comme Spar Point dans le hameau de La Tabatière. Dans la même période de temps, Joseph Gallichan un homme venant de Jersey s'est établit près de Vieux Port; il était aussi le propriétaire de Lac Sallé, plusieurs milles à l'est.

Des familles canadiennes françaises de Blais et Gallibois ont déménagées plus tard à Baie Rouge et par la suite les familles des Collier, Organ, Willcott, Brown, Reid et Hackey sont arrivées de Terre-Neuve. Les noms des trois dernières familles apparaissent sur le recensement de la région mais ont depuis disparus. La plupart des gens de la communauté parle maintenant l'anglais cependant, la langue française est très évidente.

Le village est reconnu pour son commerce de pêche. Dans les années 1930, Louis T. Blais de la ville de Québec, fils de Joseph T. Blais, un commerçant renommé et un capitaine de goélette, établit la Compagnie, St. Lawrence Sea Products. Il a aménagé un établissement pour faire fondre l'huile de phoque et faire de la mouture. En 1952, l'établissement a été transformé en une usine de transformation de poissons.

D'autre noms aujourd'hui inclus: Anderson, Bateman, Bobbitt, Boland, Bourgeois, Chubbs, Cormier, Frequet, Green, Jones, Kennedy, Maurice, McKinnon, Monger, Morency, Nadeau, Shattler, Smith, Surrett, Vatcher, Wellman et Yarn. Les religions principales sont Anglicane et Catholique Romaine, chacune ayant sa propre église. L'église Catholique est l'une des premières églises qui s'est établie sur la Côte et à travers les années elle a jouie d'une importance significative dans le village ainsi que sur la Côte. Il y a 5 cimetières: Baie Rouge, Robertson's Cove, Sands (Catholique Romaine et Protestante) et Lac Sallé.

  Back to the Homepage / Retour à la page d'accueil

 

 

Acadia | AB | BC | MB | ON | QC | NB | NL | NS | PEI | SK | YK | NWT & Nunavut | Canada GenWeb for Kids
 


Thank you to the previous coordinators, Sharon Ransom and Marc-André Gosselin, for their excellent work !
We are looking forward to reading your suggestions and comments. / Il nous fera plaisir de lire vos suggestions et commentaires.

Dernière mise à jour: 26/06/2016

© Quebec GenWeb 1997-2016

 

Suzette Leclair, Provincial Coordinator, Quebec GenWeb Project