GenWeb de la Basse Côte-Nord

Quebec Lower North Shore GenWeb

 

Le GenWeb de la Basse Côte-Nord est une composante du GenWeb Québec et du GenWeb Canada.

Lower North Shore GenWeb is part of the Québec GenWeb and the Canada GenWeb Projects.



Lourdes-de-Blanc-Sablon

Lourdes-de-Blanc-Sablon is only a few miles from Blanc-Sablon and is about 270 nautical miles by sea northeast of Natashquan, the terminus of the highway to the outside world. It is set on a rocky point of land along the road between the villages of Blanc-Sablon and Brador. It was traditionally known as Longue Pointe or simply Long Point. It was also known locally as "Stick Point". In 1907, a priest, following a visit he made to Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes in France, rechristened it Lourdes-de-Blanc-Sablon.

Archaeological excavations attest to both Amerindian and Inuit habitation long before Europeans ever set foot upon this land. By the 16th century, Basque, Spanish and French were hunting whales and fishing here. After the British took control in the 1760s, fishermen from the Channel Islands and from Newfoundland frequented the area exploiting the cod fishery.

Charles Dicker of England was at Stick Point as early as the 1820s, along with a few French families from counties of the south shore of the St. Lawrence, such as Berthier, Montmagny and the northeast Gaspe Peninsula.

It is believed that the French explorer Jacque Cartier landed on Greenly Island, an island less than 2 miles south of Lourdes-de Blanc-Sablon, He named it "Isle des Oiseaux" (Island of Birds) obviously in reference to the large number of puffins and razor-billed auks that nest on it. Greenly Island also made history again in April 1928 when the Bremen, a German Junkers monoplane, landed there in a violent storm in an attempt to make the first trans-Atlantic flight from Europe to North America..

Due to the close proximity of the villages of Blanc-Sablon and Lourdes-de-Blanc-Sablon, present-day family names for the two villages include: Beaudoin, Bolger, Buckle, Burke, Cormier, Dobin, Driscoll, Dumas, Joncas, Jones, Labadie, Laundry, Lavallee, Lawless, Lessard, Letemplier, Letto, Marcoux, Morency, Pike, Purcell, and Walsh. Le Gresley was in the area originally, however, it is not here today.

The main religion of the two villages is Roman Catholic with each village having its own church. There are three cemeteries in total for the area - one which is shared by the two villages and one older cemetery in each village. The old cemetery in Lourdes is by the shore and to the west of the hospital.

********************

Lourdes-de-Blanc-Sablon est seulement quelques milles de Blanc-Sablon et est environ 270 milles nautiques par voie maritime, nord-est de Nastaquan, le terminal de voie routière au reste du monde. Il est localisé sur une pointe rocheuse le long de la route entre les villages de Blanc-Sablon et Brador. Il était traditionnellement connu sous le nom Longue Pointe ou simplement Long Point. Il était aussi connu localement comme "Stick Point". En 1907, un prêtre, à la suite d'une visite qu’il avait fait à Notre Dame de Lourdes en France, le rebaptisa Lourdes-de-Blanc-Sablon.

Des excavations archéologiques attestent des habitations d'Amérindiens et d'Inuits bien avant que les européens mettent pieds sur cette terre. À partir du 16ième siècle, les basques, les espagnols et les français chassaient la baleine et pêchaient ici. Par la suite, les anglais dominaient dans les années 1760, les pêcheurs des Îles du Canal Anglais et de Terre Neuve fréquentaient la région et exploitaient la pêche à la morue.

Charles Dicker d’Angleterre était à Stick Point au début des années 1820, avec un petit nombre de familles canadiennes françaises des comtés de la Côte Sud du St-Laurent tel que Berthier, Montmagny et la partie nord-est de la Péninsule Gaspésienne.

Il est à croire que l’explorateur français, Jacques Cartier, débarqua sur l’île Greenly, une île moins de 2 milles au sud de Lourdes-de-Blanc-Sablon. Il la nomma l'Ile des Oiseaux, évidemment pour faire référence au grand nombre de macareux et de petits pingouins qui y font leurs nids. L’île Greenly a aussi passée à l’histoire en avril 1928 quand le Brenen atterri sur l’île durant une violente tempête avec son vieux monoplan allemand en essayant d’exécuter le premier vol trans-atlantique de l’Europe à de l’Amérique du nord.

En raison de la proximité des villages de Blanc-Sablon et Lourdes-de-Blanc-Sablon, les noms retrouvés aujourd’hui sont : Beaudoin, Bolger, Burke, Cormier, Dobin, Driscoll, Dumas, Joncas, Jones, Labadie, Landry, Lavallée, Lawless, Lessard, Letemplier, Letto, Marcoux, Morency, Pike, Purcell et Walsh. Le nom LeGresley était originaire de la région , cependant, il n’y est plus présent aujourd’hui.

La religion principale des deux villages est Catholique Romaine et chaque village a sa propre église Il y a au total trois cimetières dans la région – un qui dessert deux villages et un autre vieux cimetière dans chaque village. Le vieux cimetière à Lourdes est près de la côte et à l’ouest de l’hôpital.

 

 


Acadia | AB | BC | MB | ON | QC | NB | NL | NS | PEI | SK | YK | NWT & Nunavut | Canada GenWeb for Kids
 


Thank you to the previous coordinators, Sharon Ransom and Marc-André Gosselin, for their excellent work !
We are looking forward to reading your suggestions and comments. / Il nous fera plaisir de lire vos suggestions et commentaires.

Dernière mise à jour: 26/06/2016

© Quebec GenWeb 1997-2016

 

Suzette Leclair, Provincial Coordinator, Quebec GenWeb Project