GenWeb de la Basse Côte-Nord

Quebec Lower North Shore GenWeb

 

Le GenWeb de la Basse Côte-Nord est une composante du GenWeb Québec et du GenWeb Canada.

Lower North Shore GenWeb is part of the Québec GenWeb and the Canada GenWeb Projects.



Mutton Bay / Baie des Moutons

Mutton Bay is about 165 nautical miles by sea northeast of Natashquan, the terminus of the highway to the outside world. It is traditionally known for its proximity to excellent fishing grounds. It is situated on the shore of a bay bearing the same name. It was originally named Baie-du-Portage on account of an ancient Amerindian portage at the head of the bay. By the early 1800s, it was christened Mutton Bay. According to local history, this was due to the fact that when the schooners from Newfoundland came to fish they sometimes brought sheep, which were placed on an island at the mouth of the bay to graze, thus the name Mutton Island and Mutton Bay. This allowed the fishermen to have fresh meat during the summer fishing season.

In 1804, Felix Têtu told of the establishment of a trading post in the Bay. In 1808, Joseph Plante writes of Mutton Bay. In 1843, H. W. Bayfield locates it on a hydrographic map along with Mutton Island. On July 20, 1863, the Newspaper of Placid Vigneau announces the presence of fishing vessels at Mutton Bay. This was probably the beginning of the Newfoundland fishermens’ movement to exploit the fishery in the area. By 1872 the descendants of George Mansbridge a native of England, along with several Newfoundland families, Bobbitt, Buffett, Green and Vatcher, established the foundation of the present village of Mutton Bay.

This is a picturesque village situated at the foot of several mountains at the very edge of the bay. It is connected by road to Tabatiere, some 9 miles to the east, which in turn is connected to the outside world by daily air service and in the summer weekly coastal boat service.

Other present-day surnames include: Buckle, Evans, Gallichan, Morency, Organ and Rogers; the Brown, Gallibois, Hackey and Reid names are discontinued. The main religion is Anglican supported by its own church. There are three cemeteries: Mitchell'sIsland (locally known as Graveyard Island and formerly known as Styles Island) and Schooner Bay (old / new).

********************

Baie des Moutons est environ 165 milles nautiques par voie maritime, nord-est de Natasquan, le terminal routier au reste du monde. Il est traditionnellement reconnu pour son excellente proximité de la pêche. Il est situé sur le rivage d’une baie portant le même nom. À son origine il était nommé Baie du Portage en raison d'un ancien portage amérindien situé à la tête de la baie. Au début des années 1800, il a été baptisé Baie des Moutons. Selon l’histoire des gens de cette époque, les goélettes de Terre Neuve venaient pêcher dans cette région et apportaient quelques fois des moutons qui broutaient sur une île à l’embouchure de la baie, d'où vient donc le nom Île des Moutons et Baie des Moutons. Ceci permettait aux pêcheurs d’avoir de la viande fraîche durant la saison estivale de pêche.

En 1804, Félix Têtu parle d’un poste de commerce qui s'établit dans la baie. En 1808, Joseph Plante écrit sur Baie des Moutons. En 1843, H.W. Bayfield le localise sur une carte hydrographique ainsi que l’Île des Moutons. Le 20 juillet 1863, le journal de Placide Vigneau publiait la présence de vaisseaux de pêche à Baie des Moutons. Ceci était probablement le début du mouvement des pêcheurs Terre-Neuviens pour l'exploitation de la pêche dans cette région. À partir de 1872 les descendants de George Mansbridge, un natif d’Angleterre, ainsi que plusieurs autres familles Terre-Neuviennes, Bobbitt, Buffett, Green et Vatcher, ont fondés le village de Baie des Moutons que nous connaissons aujourd'hui.

C’est un village pittoresque situé au pieds de plusieurs montagnes, jusqu’à la limite extrême de la baie. Il est connecté par une route à La Tabatière, quelques 9 miles à l’est, et celle-ci est connectée au reste du monde par un service aérien journalier et l’été par navigation côtière.

D’autres noms d’aujourd’hui incluent : Buckle, Evans, Gallichan, Morency, Organ et Rogers ; les noms Brown, Gallibois, Hackey et Reid n'existent plus. La religion principale est anglicane et maintien sa propre église. Il y a trois cimetières : Île des Mitchell etSchooner Bay (vieux/nouveau).

PHOTOS OF MUTTON BAY / PHOTOS DE BAIE DES MOUTONS – click here / cliquez ici

  Back to the Homepage / Retour à la page d'accueil
 

 


Acadia | AB | BC | MB | ON | QC | NB | NL | NS | PEI | SK | YK | NWT & Nunavut | Canada GenWeb for Kids
 


Thank you to the previous coordinators, Sharon Ransom and Marc-André Gosselin, for their excellent work !
We are looking forward to reading your suggestions and comments. / Il nous fera plaisir de lire vos suggestions et commentaires.

Dernière mise à jour: 26/06/2016

© Quebec GenWeb 1997-2016

 

Suzette Leclair, Provincial Coordinator, Quebec GenWeb Project