The Church of All Nations grew out of the work of the Non-Anglo-Saxon Committee. In 1926, the Committee ran the “Community House” on the south-east corner of Ontario and St. André Streets, the former home of the French Methodist Church. It was a centre for European immigrants. The building was used by the newly established Hungarian congregation. In 1929 Rev. R.G. Katsunoff was called to take up the duties of Superintendent of the Non-Anglo-Saxon work in Montreal, which he did for thirty years. Community House was not large enough so the Church of All Nations moved into the building at 1135 Amherst Square, previously occupied by an Italian congregation. There were three congregations at the beginning:
The Magyar Reformed Church, The Italian Church of the Redeemer, and a Slavic congregation.
1. The Magyar Reformed Church was begun by former members of the Reformed Church of Hungary in 1926. Services were held in the German Lutheran Church on Prince Arthur and Jeanne Mance until 1927. The congregation moved to Community House in 1927. In 1930 they moved into the Church of All Nations building.
2. The Italian Church of the Redeemer (Methodist) was organized in 1909, meeting in the Auburn Mission on Craig Street. The Alma Street Chapel was built in 1912. They moved to Amherst Square in 1936 when they outgrew their chapel.
3. Missionary work among Slavic people in Montreal began in 1929. By 1939, there were two organized Slavic congregations, one in the Church of All Nations and one at St.Columba House. They are predominantly Ukrainian, Czechoslovakian and Polish.
Aside from Church services and the activities of church groups, the Church of All Nations, in the early years, provided social services: clothing, translation, letter-writing and legal advice. In 1966 the Church of All Nations moved to share the use of Macdonald House on St. Dominique St. In the 1970s they amalgamated with the Montreal City Mission.
Macdonald House was closed in 1986 and the congregation rented the chapel of Erskine and American United Church for Sunday services. The membership remained predominantly Eastern European throughout its history. The closing service was held in the chapel of Erskine and American June 30,1991
Source: United Church Archives - Beverly Levine
Back to the homepage