Beaconsfield United Church was founded as a result of a meeting in 1956 called by the Sessions of Cedar Park United Church and Beaurepaire United Church to discuss setting up another church in the area because their churches were both crowded. Beaconsfield Heights residents expressed interest and the Finance and Extension Board of the Montreal Presbytery bought property. A bungalow was built and furnishings and financial assistance were supplied by various congregations.
The inaugural service was held on November 3, 1957. The congregation and Sunday School grew rapidly and the congregation approved plans for the construction of a church. A new property was acquired on Woodside Drive. The Dedication Service was held on September 11,1960. The bungalow, originally intended to be converted into a manse was too small. It was sold and a new manse built. Due to the continued growth of the Sunday School an extension to the Sanctuary and a two story addition to the Education Wing were added in 1967.
In 1976 the structure of the church administration was changed on recommendation of the Official Board. Representation of the Session and Stewards on the Official Board was limited, reducing their power. The Committee of Stewards was eliminated with their duties assigned to three committees of the Official Board (stewardship, finance and property). In 1982 on its 25th anniversary the church was still vigorous. In 1994 the total membership (resident and non-resident) was the highest in the Montreal Presbytery.
Source: United Church Archives - Beverly Levine
"A History of Beaconsfield United Church : 1957-1982" compiled by J.F. White.
|Beaconsfield United Church
202 Woodside Road
Beaconsfield, Quebec H9W 2P1
Phone: (514) 695-0600, Fax: (514) 695-8301
9:00am - 12:00 noon (Mon.& Fri.)
9:00am - 3 :00pm (Tues.-Thurs.)
Return to Montreal Protestant Churches