Chalmers began as a mission of St. Matthew's Presbyterian Church in Point St. Charles in 1899 under the name Verdun Presbyterian Mission. The first committee was elected in 1901. Ministers were supplied from the Presbyterian Theological College. Services were held Sunday evenings.
In 1911, when the mission became a regular pastoral charge, the congregation decided a larger building was needed. Having decided to build on the same site, it was necessary to demolish the old mission. During the summer months the congregation worshipped in a tent in front of the construction site. The architect was Alexander Hutchison. The church seated 400 and by 1914 membership had grown to 429.
In 1918 the church adopted the name Chalmers Presbyterian Church in honour of the Scottish cleric. In 1919 it was decided to build a new church on the same site and to use the old building for Sunday School.
In 1925 Chalmers voted to join the United Church of Canada and the name became Chalmers United Church, but 209 of 621 communicants withdrew their membership.
In 1952 a manse was bought. The organ was repaired and rebuilt in 1958 and the sanctuary was redecorated in 1964
Source: United Church Archives - Beverly Levine