From: "History and Gazetteer of Montreal to
the Year 1892"
by Rev. J. Douglas Borthwick (1892) Montreal
"A History of the Scotch Presbyterian Church, St. Gabriel Street, Montreal"
By Rev, Robert Campbell, M.A., 1887
Simon Clarke came from Yorkshire, England. He arrived in Montreal and engaged in the fur trade before the establisment of the North-West Company in 1806. He soon made a large fortune, retiring from business, and built a handsome residence at St. Catherine's on the other side of Mount Royal called "Beaver Lodge". Here he died and his son John Clarke also lived. He too had made a large fortune in the North-West. He dispensed a profuse hospitality and this extravagance, along with his becoming security to his friends for several large amounts, melted even the fortune of John Clarke, and at last the property passed into other hands. John Clarke owned property in Cote St. Antoine, and from him, Clarke Avenue, Cote St. Antoine derives it's name. The family pew in the St. Gabriel Street Church purchased in 1807 was No.89.
*Researching Simon Clarke.............Patricia Jo Kern ............ggggg granddaughter
Back to the homepage