From: "A History of the Scotch Presbyterian Church, St. Gabriel Street,
By Rev. Robert Campbell, Montreal 1887
James Cowie, who with William Forbes, subscribed ten guineas [to the St. Gabriel building fund], was a cooper by trade, and appears to have been ready to take his share in every good work. He contributed to the fund for wiping out the debt [at St. Gabriel's Church], as well as to that raised for Mr. Young's family. He was one of those who signed the resolution declaring adhesion to Mr. Somerville in 1803, and subscribed a guinea annually towards that gentleman's support. He occupied pew 41 until his death in 1812. His son, James Cowie Jr., who prosecuted the same business as his father, purchased pew 78 in the year 1809.
Return to Notable Montrealers
Return to St. Gabriel building subscribers