Eastern Congregational Church was formed in 1866 in order to develop a congregation in the eastern part of the city. It began as a Sunday School in Woodyard Lane. After three years it was transferred to Zion Church and a room was rented in Wolfe Street.
The mission grew and plans began for a meeting house. The church building opened on Sunday, February 28,1869. It was situated at the northwest corner of Craig and Amherst streets. The 43 by 60' building cost $7,500.00. The first storey was stone and the second brick. It had a seating capacity of 350. Reverend H.J. Colwell was engaged as missionary pastor at this time. The church was closed in 1879 and the property sold in 1880.
Source: United Church Archives - Beverly Levine