From: "Montreal History and Gazeteer to the year 1892"
By Rev. J. Douglas Borthwick, John Lovell & Son, Montreal 1892
WAS born in Quebec, October 8th, 1825. He commenced his career
by studying Medicine and Surgery in the Marine Hospital of his native city
in 1841. In November, 1842, he entered the Medical Faculty of McGill
University, Montreal. He
passed his final examination with great credit in 1846, but having not then attained his majority could not receive his Diploma till January, 1847, when he had the high honor of having a special Convocation of the College called to confer on him his
degrees of Doctor of Medicine and Master in Surgery. Since then Dr. Fenwick's name has been one of the most prominent in our city. In 1849, in conjunction with the late Dr. Howard and others, he established the Montreal Dispensary. In 1867, he
was appointed to the chair of Clinical Surgery of McGill, holding it to 1876, when in that year he became Professor of Surgery. He is now Emeritus Professor of the College. He has devoted a good deal of his spare time to medical writings, and is as well known perhaps as any medical man (by these writings) on this Continent. He established with Dr. F. W. Campbell
the " Canada Medical Journal " in 1864, and edited it to 1879 when he resigned. For many years he represented the physicians of Montreal as Governor of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Lower Canada. He is a consistent and earnest Christian and member of St. John the Evangelist Church. He married, in 1852, Eliza "Charlotte" de Hertel, daughter
of Colonel Daniel de Hertel and Lydia Brown*, of St.Andrews, and has had seven children.
*ed. note : Lydia
Brown was the daughter of James
Brown of the Montreal Gazette.
Return to Notable Montrealers
Back to the homepage