Originally Lachine Methodist Church, the congregation of Grace United was organized in 1867. A small church was built at the corner of St. Joseph Blvd and 11th Ave., Lachine in 1868. Services were held, from about 1863, in a school house on Lower Lachine Road near the old windmill. A parsonage was built on 11th Avenue. The corner stone of a new church built of cement blocks was laid in 1907 at the same site and the church was dedicated in 1908.
The name Grace United was officially adopted in 1926, a year after union. The church was closed in June 1970. The stained glass windows were donated to Glebe United Church in Ottawa, Ontario. The organ and other furnishings were donated to various churches before the demolition.
Source: United Church Archives - Beverly Levine
Back to the homepage