From: "A History of the Scotch Presbyterian Church, St. Gabriel Street,
By Rev. Robert Campbell, Montreal 1887
John Gregory, a contributer of ten guineas [to the St. Gabriel building fund], was another of the fur magnates of Montreal. When the North-west company was formed, some trouble arose over the allotment of shares to the partners, and a rival company was started with Mr. Gregory at it's head. The original company, however, proved too strong in capital and numbers for it's junior competitor, and after a brief and bitter rivalry, an amalgamation of the two was effected in 1787. From that time onward, Mr. Gregory was one of the most influential partners of the North-west Company.
He gave 3 pounds for the fund for Mr. Young's family, and subscribed 5 pounds, in 1810, to remove the debt incurred in buying the bell and erecting the steeple. He retired from partnership in the house of McTavish, Frobisher & Co., December 11,1806. In 1802, he obtained from Sir R.S. Milnes, a grant of 11,550 acres of land in Arthabaska. Mr. Gregory died February 22, 1817, aged 60 years, and was characterized in the Herald's obituary notice as one of Montreal's most respected citizens. His son, Colonel Gregory married a daughter of Hon. John Forsythe.
Return to Notable Montrealers
Return to St. Gabriel's Chuch building fund