Melville Presbyterian Church grew out of a Sunday School in Cote St. Antoine in 1884, begun by elders of Erskine Presbyterian Church . With the financial assistance of established churches, the church on Cote St. Antoine and Stanton Street was occupied in 1886.
Services began in the second building in 1900. After voting for union, Melville Presbyterian Church amalgamated with Westmount Methodist to form Westmount Park-Melville United Church in 1925. The combined congregation worshipped in the Melville Church building for two years, until it was sold to former members who remained with the Presbyterian Church. Victoria Hall served as a temporary site while the new Westmount Park-Melville Church was under construction.
Source: United Church Archives - Beverly Levine
Back to the homepage