MONTREAL WEST
UNITED CHURCH

In the summer of 1891 Presbyterian and Methodists in Montreal West worshipped together in a C.P.R. freight shed. Being unheated it was unsuitable for the winter months. The two denominations worshipped elsewhere in the winter.  The Methodists  held  services in the home of John Rodger at 34 Brock Avenue North. Numbers increased and in 1892 a church was built a little further north on Brock Avenue. The frame building was known as the Brock Avenue Methodist Church. In 1916 a brick addition to the sanctuary was constructed.

The Presbyterian congregation worshipped at 57 Ballantyne Avenue North. In 1892 they erected at brick church on the corner of Westminster Avenue and Curzon Street (listed in the 1895 Montreal City directory simply as Presbyterian Church). The first ordained minister of the Presbyterian church was Rev. George C. Pidgeon. In 1924 a new building was put up which increased Sunday School space and improved the sanctuary. It was built in anticipation of the amalgamation of the Methodist and Presbyterian Churches in Montreal West after Church Union in 1925. 

Both congregations had unanimously voted for a local amalgamation in 1916, but decided to wait for national union. Dr. Pidgeon, who later that year was named Moderator of the United Church of Canada, preached the dedication service. However in the 1925 vote, 46 of the 411 Presbyterian communicants withdrew. This minority moved to another building, keeping the name of Montreal West Presbyterian Church, while the majority of the congregation remained at the church at Curzon and Westminster streets, which was renamed Montreal West United Church

A house at 159 Brock Avenue North was purchased for a manse in 1952. In 1958 another extension was added due to the increase in population in the area after World War II.  The church contains many fine memorials and furnishings of note.  Among them are stained glass windows by Charles W. Kelsey and others made in Delft, Holland.

Source: United Church Archives - Beverly Levine

Montreal West United Church
88 Ballantyne Avenue North
Montreal West, Quebec 
H4X 2B8
Phone: 514-482-3210
Fax:  514-482-1177 
Email: mwuc@total.net
Website : www.mwuc.org

Return to Montreal Protestant Churches
Return to United Church list

Back to the homepage

Questions, Comments or Suggestions?
contact
Patty Brown
coordinator of the MontréalGenWeb