From: "A History of the Scotch Presbyterian Church, St. Gabriel Street,
By Rev, Robert Campbell, M.A., 1887
Thomas Oakes was an Englishman by birth. He had a Tinsmith's shop in St. Paul Street, where his family carried on the same business long after his decease. Mrs. Oakes was still managing the business in 1822. He and his family occupied pews 70 and 101, up to 1813. His wife was a German, Elizabeth Mittleberger. Mr. Oakes's name also appears with a subscription of ten guineas after it. toward the fund for erecting the St. Gabriel Street Church. He signed the call to Mr. Somerville in 1803, and undertook to pay two guneas a year for that gentleman's support.