ANDREW ROBERTSON Was a Scotchman by birth, having been born in Paisley, Scotland, on the 18th June, 1827. He was the eldest and only son of the late Alexander Robertson, of Paisley, by his first wife, Grant Stuart MacDonald.
Mr. Robertson received his education at the Paisley Grammar School, going through the usual curriculum of English, Latin and Greek. Shortly after leaving school, like the majority of Scotch boys, he learned a trade, that of weaving. He went, in 1840, to Glasgow to push his fortune. Here he served for four years in a dry goods store, and then took a position in a manufacturer's establishment. In this new position he worked hard, and having gained the confidence of his employers, he was four years afterwards, in 1848, admitted a partner in the business. Afew years later on, his health having given away, he was admonished by his medical adviser to leave Glasgow, and try the effects of either the climate of Australia or Canada on his enfeebled constitution. He decided on the latter country, and along with his wife and two sons came to Montreal in 1853.
Shortly after his arrival he went into the dry goods business, and soon became one of the leading men in the trade, as senior partner in the firm of Robertson, Linton & Co., of that city. Business having succeeded, Mr. Robertson was enabled to retire from it in 1885, and afterwards enjoyed other and perhaps more congenial persuits.
Being a public-spirited gentleman, he never shirked his responsibilities as a citizen. in 1868 and 1869, he accepted the position of President of St. Andrew's Society of Montreal; in 1876, he was President of the Dominion board of Trade; in 1876 and 1877, he was President of the Montreal Board of Trade; was the first president of the Dominion Traveller's Association; was president of the Royal Canadian Insurance Company since 1876; and President of the Bell Telephone Company of since it's organization in 1880. In 1872, Mr. Robertson became one of the governors of the Mount Royal General Hospital, and since that period has filled the offices of the treasurer, Vice-President, and President. In 1879, he was elected Chairman of the Board of Harbour Commissioners for Montreal, and he occupied that position to his death.
He also took an interest in military affairs, and in 1861, during the "Trent" excitement , he was First Lieutenant and Quartermaster of the Montreal Light Infantry Company. Mr. Robertson was an adherent of the Presbyterian Church; and as for politics, we think he would rather act the part of the Good Sameritan than indulge in political discussions.
He was married on the 19th
of April, 1850 to
Agnes Bow, youngest daughter
of the late Alexander Bow, of Glasgow,
and died a few years ago. (From Rose's Cyclopedia 1888, the last line reads
" and has had a family of four sons and six daughters, two of the latter
Return to Notable Montrealers
Back to the homepage