S.S. SCANDINAVIAN

According to “Great Passenger Ships of the World, Volume 1 1858-1912”  The Scandinavian was one  of eight newly built British ships built in 1898 by Harland & Wolff  in Belfast, yard #315. It had two ‘twin screws’ (8,700 IHP; 16kn) and started out as the ‘New England’ (Dominion Line, Liverpool) and was launched on the 7th of April 1898 and was completed in June of that same year. 

It had its maiden voyage on the 30th of June from Liverpool to Boston. In Nov 1903, it was sold to the White Star Line and renamed the ‘Romanic’. It had its first voyage on the 19th of November from Liverpool to Boston. In Jan 1912, it was sold to the Allen Line and renamed Scandinavian and put into service from Glasgow to Montreal. On Oct 1, the Allan Line was taken over by Canadian Pacific and the ship sailed from Liverpool to Canada and from 1920, Antwerp to Canada. In July 1922, it was laid up and then sold on the 9th of July 1923 for breaking up to F Rijsdijk, Rotterdam and then resold again on July 16 to Klasmann & Lentze, Emden. In its day, the ship was suited for 200 1st class, 200 2nd class, and 800 steerage.

Submitted by Karl Sack

Back to the homepage

Questions, Comments or Suggestions?
contact
Patty Brown
coordinator of the MontréalGenWeb