From: "A History of the
Scotch Presbyterian Church, St. Gabriel Street, Montreal"
By Rev. Robert Campbell, Montreal 1887
Angus Shaw subscribed three guneas [to the St. Gabriel building fund]. There is not much to be gathered from existing documents concerning him. He was Major of the "Voyagers", who, under Lieut.-Colonel McGillivray, took Detroit in 1812. He had a daughter, Anna Shaw, nine years old, baptized by Mr. Young in 1797, the mother being mentioned, not by name, but as an "Indian woman". His name appears in connection with Christ Church in 1802.
By W. Stewart Wallace, 2nd edition, MacMillan Co. of Canada Ltd., Toronto, 1945
Died 1832, fur-trader, was a native of Scotland who entered the service of the North West Company as a clerk prior to 1787. In 1789 he was at Fort L’Orignal, near the source of the Fraser river; and in 1790 he was “at Moose Hill Lake, up the Beaver river from Isle à la Crosse.” In 1791 he was back at Fort L’Orignal; and in 1792 he was at Fort George. He became a partner in the North West Company between 1795 and 1799; in 1797 he was elected a member of the Beaver Club of Montreal; and in 1799 he was proprietor in charge of the Upper English river district. In 1802 he was appointed agent in charge of King’s Posts with headquarters at Quebec; and in 1808 he became a member of McTavish, McGillivrays, and Co. He was one of the agents of the North West Company at Fort William in 1810 and 1811; but thereafter he took little part in the fur-trade, until the struggle with Lord Selkirk reached its height, when he was one of the partners of the North West Company arrested by the Hudson’s Bay men in 1719. He continued to be a partner in McTavish, McGillivrays, and Co. after the union of 1821, when they were made Montreal agents of the Hudson’s Bay Company; and his estate, which was involved in the failure of that firm in 1825, was not settled until 1847.
He became a victim of pulmonary
tuberculosis; and he died at New Brunswick, New Jersey, on July 25, 1832,
two days after his arrival at that place. He married [Mary
McGillivray] a sister of the Hon.
William McGillivrary; and she died in London, England, on March
Angus Shaw, was a veteran
wintering partner of the N.W.C., in which he was already clerk before 1787.
In 1789 he built a post on Lac D' Original on the Upper Beaver River, and
in 1792 Fort George on the Saskatchewan, where he remained in charge in
the following year. he also, together with
McGillivary, built the first Fort Augustus on the Saskatchewan in
1795. He became a partner of the N.W.Co. between 1795 and 1799, and in
1799 he was in charge of the Upper English River district. On 6th July,
1802, he was appointed to take control of the 'King's Domains, or Tadousac
Posts' on behalf of the N.W.Co., taking up his headquarters at Quebec.
He was one of the signatories to the Agreement of 5th November, 1804 by
which the X.Y. Co. was absorbed by the N.W.Co., and in 1808 he became a
member of McTavish, McGillivrays & Co.
In 1810-11 he was one of the N.W.Co. agents at Fort William. In 1819 he
was captured with other wintering partners by Governor
Williams and sent to England, where he was released. After the amalgamation
between the two companies he continued to be partner of McTavish, McGillivrays
& Co., and his estate was involved in that firm's failure in 1825.
He died at New Brunswick, New Jersey, on 25th July, 1832.
Angus Shaw's sister, Isabel Shaw married Duncan McDougall Sr. of the 84th regiment of foot and they had 2 sons : Alexander McDougall and Duncan McDougall Jr. who also entered the fur trade
*Researching Angus Shaw.............Viola Seward (g-g-g-g-g-g-g-niece)
..............Wayne A Jones (g-g-g-g-g-g-g-nephew - thru marriage)