St. Stephen's United Church was an amalgamation of Taylor-East End United Church and Zion United Church (formerly Zion Meth.). The congregation met at the former Zion church, 4863 Cartier. The Taylor United and East End United properties were put up for sale. East End was sold to the Presbyterian Church in 1937. Taylor was not disposed of until 1942.
In 1959 St. Stephen's and Rosemount Central United formed one pastoral charge. In 1962 they amalgamated as one congregation. Although the congregation voted originally for the name St. Stephen's Rosemount, the name Mount Stephen United Church was adopted in 1963. St. Stephen's building was sold and services took place at Rosemount Central. In 1970 Mount Stephen and Rosemount First United amalgamated with Trinity United Church.
Source: United Church Archives - Beverly Levine
Back to the homepage