From: "A History of the Scotch Presbyterian Church, St. Gabriel Street, Montreal"
By Rev. Robert Campbell, Montreal 1887
This congregation, in its present form, dates nominally from the 23rd day of July, 1876, when Rev. Dr. Taylor, by appointment of Presbytery, organized it in Hudon Hall. Work had been previously carried on, however, on two lines, which then converged - by the Canada Presbyterian Church, and by the Presbyterian Church of Canada in connection with the Church of Scotland.
The former had long held a Sabbath school in the Quebec suburbs: the latter established both a school and a mission preaching station, in the old Sir John Johnson Mansion in Craig street, the property of J. T. Molson, not far from Papineau Square, in 1868. This station was supplied by Rev. Robert Laing, now of Halifax, and others, as the “East End Mission,” under the direction of the Presbytery’s Home Mission committee, until it was taken over by St. Andrew’s Church, as St. Paul’s Church assumed the Forfar Street Mission. It had previously been removed to Salem Church, Panet Street. To this mission charge, Rev. John L. Stuart was ordained by the Presbytery of Montreal, after the Union, 22nd July, 1875, and he continued to supply it till 1st of May, 1876.
By this time, St. Andrew’s Church had voted itself out of the Union, and, as Mr. Stuart wished to remain in the united church, he tendered his resignation. St. Andrew’s Church bought the building, over the heads of the Presbytery of Montreal of the Presbyterian Church in Canada, and retained possession of it, which made it necessary that the congregation should seek accommodation elsewhere. Hudon Hall, St. Catherine Street, was secured, and to it the congregation removed, and with it combined the Sabbath School work formerly carried on under the auspices of the Canada Presbyterian Church.
The Rev. John Jones, who had done such good service in establishing Chalmers’ church on a solid footing, was induced to take hold of the mission in the summer of 1876, and by his energy and perseverence he succeeded at last in getting the present church erected on Champlain Street. On 15th January, 1878, Rev. A. C. Morton was ordained as pastor of the charge, but his ministry was of brief duration. Failing health compelled him to surrender it, and Mr. Jones was again asked to lend a helping hand.
The next pastor was Rev. John J. Casey, who was called from Elgin and Athelstane, and inducted March 16th, 1882. In the discharge of his duties, he contracted small-pox, from which he died, June 10th, 1884. Meantime there was growing up a very large and promising Sabbath School, under the superintendence of Mr. James Brown, of Knox Church, and an energetic staff of teachers - which, as well as the congregation, received special assistance from Knox congregation.
Thomas Bennett, the present pastor , having been unanimously
called from a charge in Ontario, was inducted, 1st December, 1885. When
the congregation started out anew in Hudon Hall, there were but 31 communicants
in it - at the end of 1886 the membership numbered 150. The outlook of
the Church is of the brightest kind, considering the rapid growth of the
part of the City in which it is situated.
In 1925 the congregation voted for union. East End Methodist, which had also joined the union, united with Taylor Presbyterian in June 1925 and the church was called Taylor-East End United Church.
Back to the homepage