From: "A History of the Scotch Presbyterian Church, St. Gabriel Street,
By Rev. Robert Campbell, Montreal 1887
Another name deserving of mention, as that of a once note-worthy citizen, is John Whitlawís. He was a native of Gifford, Scotland, and came to Montreal in 1816, and joined St. Gabriel Street Church that same year. He was a warm partizan of Dr. Blackís, and left St. Gabriel Street with the St. Paulís congregation.
He was appointed a member
of the city council in 1848, and remained a Councillor till 1852. That
year he became an Alderman and continued so till the end of 1853. Mr. Whitlaw
was a carpenter, and as such, filled many important contracts. His was
one of the families from St. Paulís, helping to start St. Gabrielís in
1866. He died 22nd September, 1867.
Back to the homepage