From: The Storied Province
of Quebec Past and Present
Ed. Col. William Wood, Dominion Publishing Company, Limited, Toronto 1931
HERBERT ANDREW WILLIAMS—The successful business men of a city may well consider themselves as component parts in the general expansion and progress of the community. Montreal, Quebec, is renowned for its progressive spirit, and it numbers among its leaders business men of vision and force. Among these mention should be made of Herbert Andrew Williams, president of Williams-Thomas, Ltd., of No. 4530 St. Lawrence Boulevard, who is associated with many important enterprises.
Herbert A. Williams was born in London, Ontario, March 25, 1876, son of John Williams and M. Hopkins. His education was acquired in the public schools of his native city, and his knowledge of lithographing and poster work from twenty-five years as the representative of Howell Lithographing, of Hamilton, Ontario. It was in 1903 that he became interested in the Canadian Poster Company, Ltd., and a decade later, 1913, that he was instrumental in bringing into being Williams-Thomas, Ltd.
Mr. Williams is a member of the Montreal Board of Trade, Chambre de Commerce, and the Canadian Manufacturers' Association. In spite of the magnitude of his business operations, he finds time to serve his community on the board of governors of the Montreal General Hospital and the Protestant Hospital for the Insane. He is an honorary colonel of the 163rd Regiment and a member of the Free and Accepted Masons, in which he holds the thirty-second degree.
His religious adherence is given to the Methodist faith. His clubs are: the Montreal Club, the Engineers Club, the St. Denis Club, the Beaconsfield Golf Club, the Isleway Fish and Game Club, the Montreal Jockey Club, the Thistle Curling Club, the St. George's Club, and the Automobile Club of Canada.
In October, 1905, Herbert
Andrew Williams married Mary Maud Davidson,
and they reside at No. 672 Roslyn Avenue, Westmount,. Quebec.
His business-partner John Matthews Wolferstan Thomas