JAMES WOOLRICH*

From: "A History of the Scotch Presbyterian Church, St. Gabriel Street, Montreal"
By Rev. Robert Campbell, Montreal 1887
(Portrait from The Chateau Ramsay collection ... via Peter Woolrich)


James Woolrich, of the firm of Hall, Obder & Woolrich, was a Yorkshireman. They kept a dry goods store in St. Paul Street. He was one of the directors of the first Savings Bank that was instituted in the city. Besides the 5 pounds contributed [to the St. Gabriel building fund] by the firm to which he belonged, he afterwards gave one pound for the removal of the debt in 1800, and a guinea towards the Young fund. He occupied pew 46 in St. Gabriel Church, but his name appears in 1817 as one of the wardens of Christ Church. Like many others on the list of pew-holders and contributors, he seems to have maintained some sort of connection with both congregations.
*Researching James Woolrich............Peter Woolrich (g-g-g-grandson)

Return to Notable Montrealers
Return to St. Gabriel building subscribers
Back to the homepage
Questions, Comments or Suggestions?
contact
Patty Brown
coordinator of the MontréalGenWeb