Westmount Park United Church is the result of amalgamations of Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational churches. Westmount Methodist Church was founded in 1889 in what was then Côte St. Antoine. The first building, known as “The Tabernacle” was constructed of wood on the corner of Lansdowne and Western Avenues. Services began one week after the lumber was delivered. The official opening was June 1890. With help from other Methodist churches a new, brick building was erected in 1893.
At the time of Church Union in 1925 Westmount Methodist and Melville Presbyterian Church amalgamated under the name of Westmount Park United Church. In 1929 the cornerstone was laid for the present church on Lansdowne Avenue and the dedication took place in 1930. The architects were Luke and Perry.
In 1948 Emmanuel (Congregational) Church amalgamated with Westmount Park to form Westmount Park-Emmanuel Church. The name changed again in 1961 to Westmount Park-Emmanuel and Calvary, when Calvary United Church joined the congregation.
In 1990 part of the building on the de Maisonneuve side of the church was converted to the Montreal Presbytery offices of the United Church of Canada and the book room.
Source: United Church Archives - Beverly Levine
Westmount Park United Church
4695 de Maisonneuve West
Westmount, Quebec H3Z 1L9
Return to Montreal Protestant Churches
Back to the homepage